Sunday, February 24, 2013

What sort of people live here? Asked Alice

Alice

What sort of people live about here?

Cat

In that direction (waving its right paw round) lives the Hatter:  and in that direction (waving the other paw) lives a March Hare.  Visit eitehr you like: they're both mad.

Alice

I don't want to go among mad people

Cat

Oh, you can't help that - we are all mad here,  I'm mad, you're mad.

Alice

How do you know I'm mad?

Cat

You must be or you wouldn't have come here.

Alice

And how do you know that you're mad?

Cat

To begin with - a dog is not mad. You grant that?

Alice

I suppose so

Cat

Well, then - you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry.  Therefore I'm mad.

Alice

I call it purring, not growling

Cat

Call it what you like.

Lewis Carroll,  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment